Owner / Head Brewer
David Sawyer, a West Michigan native, graduated from Kendall College of Art and Design and took his degree in another direction. He started as a homebrewer and fell in love with the process and the craft. David has been brewing beer, mead, cider, and wine for over a decade. He cut his teeth at The Livery Microbrewery in Benton Harbor, Michigan but wrapped up his public brewing career as a lead production brewer for Bell’s Brewery. Brewing allows him to express his former life in creative and innovative ways.
Mike is not new to small business ownership. Originally a math teacher, Mike owned and ran a painting business for a number of years. A good friend of his opened a meadery on the east side, and Mike became hooked on mead. He now gets to combine his love of math, numbers, and running a small business.
Thank you to the bees
We couldn’t do what we do without these amazing creatures. Here are a few fun facts.
- Bees have 5 eyes and 6 legs
- Bees fly about 20 mph
- The queen can lay up to 2,000 eggs per day
- Bees have been here about 30 million years
- An average beehive can hold 50,000 bees
- It takes 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey
- A forager creates .4 ml of honey in her lifetime